Company Profile

Hall & Watts is a company specialising in the production and supply of Opto-mechanical instruments, design and refurbishment expertise and is well known to the UK Ministry of Defence and Defence Forces worldwide. Hall & Watts is proud of its position in the defence optics industry and continues to provide high quality products, technical and training support as it has done for many decades.

Innovative, simple, yet cost effective designs of products have been identified as major factors in our success together with a thorough understanding of the military market through specially selected personnel in engineering, sales and product support areas within the company.

Hall & Watts is headquartered in St Albans, UK, where our global operations are based.

Hall & Watts Australia, based in Melbourne, supports business covering the Australian Defence Market, as well as acting as the in country agent for MAS Zengrange Ltd.

With representation in over 20 countries worldwide, Hall & Watts has manufactured and supplied Optical Instruments for over 70 years, and continues to do so with the highest levels of commitment and expertise.

Download our ISO 9001:2015 certificate

Download our BAE Certificate of Approval

Download our Company Quality Assurance Policy

Download our JOSCAR Accreditation Certificate

Company Timeline

1856

Edwin Watts establishes company called E.R. Watts & Sons, specialising in the manufacture of theodolites and other surveying equipment.

1856

1874

Company named Hilger was founded by two German precision optical instrument technicians; Adam and Otto Hilger. The company was based in Islington, London, and specialised in the manufacture of precision optical and mechanical instruments.

1880

Hall Brothers is founded. During both World Wars, the company provided large quantities of military equipment to various Ministries including theodolites, levels, artillery directors and weapon sights.

1938

Hall Brothers was incorporated and became known as Hall Bros. (Optical) Ltd. This became a wholly owned subsidiary of Aeronautical & General Instruments & Co. Ltd.

1938

1948

Hilger merge with the well-known metrology instrument manufacturer E R Watts and the company became known as Hilger & Watts Ltd.

1948

1949

Three sons of the founder of Hall Brothers start company called A.H Hall and Brothers Ltd. Very small operation based out of a shop premises in Islington, London specialising in optical instruments used in construction and planning.

1968

Hilger & Watts taken over by Rank Organisation

1968

1979

Hall Bros. Ltd acquires the Watts survey business from Rank Organisation. This included the now industry standardized range of Watts surveying equipment, but also the range of military instruments, which included a service and repair operation. Company names are merged to form Hall & Watts Ltd.

1979

1995

Hall & Watts Ltd disposes of the building and surveying equipment segment, leaving the business solely focused on the defence market. From this point onwards the company was to trade as Hall & Watts Defence Optics Ltd.

Present Day

Hall & Watts is represented in over 20 countries, supplying equipment into over 47 countries worldwide.

Present Day